💙DIY Kitchen Makeover Reveal | Before & After
See my huge DIY kitchen makeover! I share before and afters, highlights from the renovation process, and a final reveal tour.
💙TONS OF INFORMATION DETAILS AND LINKS BELOW
💙Full tour of finished kitchen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN_OBLsqSmg&t=296s
💙I moved! Here’s my new kitchen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyIqx-wzqjE&t=42s
💙Subscribe for more DIY, home decor, organization & lifestyle!
💙Follow me on Instagram: miss.annie.xo https://www.instagram.com/miss.annie.xo/
💙SHOP ALL MY AMAZON FAVORITES https://www.amazon.com/shop/missannie
This project took TIME and PATIENCE. It took me about a total of 4 months to complete it. I did lots of prior research and paint testing about the products and process I should use to paint my cabinets. You will find tons of posts on Pinterest with titles such as “PAINT YOUR CABINETS WITHOUT SANDING” or “NO PRIMING NEEDED.” But the reality is, if you want a good finish, proper adherence, and longevity, priming and at least some sanding are absolutely crucial. I tested out both chalk and milk paints on my cabinets, and the coverage was not that great since the surfaces were so dark. Using either one of the products would have cost me significantly more in price and not save me much on time.
Everyone has different experiences and opinions, but this is what I have determined and the process that worked for me!
CABINET PREP WORK
– Lightly sanded on inside of cabinets with sanding sponges
– Cleaned all surfaces with a microfiber cloth and Krud Kutter – this stuff works wonders.
KRUD KUTTER https://amzn.to/2UgMvjm
– Put down 3 coats of Gripper Primer by Glidden using a small foam roller and foam brushes for corners.
– Sanded before top coat with an orbital disk sander, 220 grit – I purchased my sander specifically for this project and I have used it SO MUCH since. I can’t believe I ever lived without it.
ORBITAL DISC SANDER https://amzn.to/31eX1sE
BEST PAINT BRUSH https://amzn.to/2GQsWWV
PAINTERS PYRAMIDS https://amzn.to/38R7M7g
CABINET TOP COAT
– Put down 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Advance in satin finish, untinted. This is the some of the best paint I’ve ever worked with and can’t recommend it enough for painting cabinets.
– Since I was unable to find replacement handles that fit properly, I filled previous holes with wood filler and used pulls instead.
– Amazon is BY FAR the best bang for your buck as far as cabinet hardware goes.
– My original hinges were in terrible shape, but they were a very old style that is discontinued, so I ordered replacement ones from a specialty retailer. They only came in an antiqued brass color, so I spray painted them. The paint adhered well and gave an ok finish, but I have had some scraping and chipping from the friction. I wouldn’t suggest spray painting hinges if you can avoid it.
MY HARDWARE https://amzn.to/2tjIlvU
WALLS & TRIM
– All walls were patched from bad cracks and damage, then painted.
– All new and old trim work was caulked, primed with Glidden Gripper if new, and given 2-3 coats of Behr’s Premium Plus Ultra Semi Gloss Enamel, untinted.
WALL PAINT COLOR: Wheat Bread by Behr in eggshell finish
– Previous flooring was a glued on vinyl tile. We chose to tear out before installing new flooring because it was in bad and uneven condition.
– New flooring is a plank vinyl.
– Everything I read about plank vinyl floors is that it can be installed right over a subfloor. In my case, I should have laid down an underlayment (I said subfloor in the video, which is incorrect). I think it would have created a better final result.
– I have mixed feelings about this product. It did not cut easily with a carpet knife, as indicated in the instructions, and it has already scuffed and marked.
Relevant search terms
diy kitchen makeover diy kitchen renovation diy kitchen remodel diy kitchen reveal diy painted kitchen cabinets diy white kitchen diy painted cabinets diy painted cabinets before after kitchen before and after diy budget kitchen makeover budget kitchen remodel budget kitchen renovation diy budget kitchen diy kitchen diy kitchen ideas kitchen makeover kitchen remodel white kitchen reveal diy budget kitchen makeover diy kitchen remodel on a budget